Most senders have fixed agreements with bpost for lost and damaged parcels. Only you, as the sender, can open a file for a lost or damaged parcel as you have paid bpost for the shipment.
Please contact us via the online form at the bottom of this page. This way you can immediately provide all the necessary information and documents to process your file. In case of damage, your complaint must be submitted within 7 calendar days.
The current postal legislation forbids the sending of letters or parcels with the following contents:
1. Dangerous goods:
Dangerous objects are objects that, due to their shape, nature or packaging, can be dangerous for people or can damage other shipments, the equipment of bpost, or the goods of third-parties (including parcels). Some daily objects also cannot be sent with the post. These include lighters, perfume, manicure products, glue, paint, flammable liquids, spray cans, deodorants under pressure, hair dye and lithium batteries.
2. Prohibited items:
- Drugs, narcotics and psychotropic substances
- Weapons, essential parts of weapons and ammunition, imitation firearms, knives, swords, daggers and any other sharp or cutting object
- Objects, texts or general substances of which the import, export, production, circulation, distribution, use, possession, sale or transport are forbidden by law
- Objects that include statements that contravene public order or common decency
- Shipments that mention forbidden destinations or contain forbidden goods according to commercial law
- Shipments that contain counterfeit goods
- Coins, banknotes and bearer bonds (exception: personal cheques with a maximum value of €500 per parcel and a basic guarantee)
- Jewellery (exception: costume jewellery that does not contain gold, silver or gemstones, is not worth more than €500 per parcel and has a basic guarantee), works of art and collections or other valuable materials, including animal pelts
- Parcels whose value is more than €25,000
It's possible to send your parcel with a guarantee. That means the recipient must sign for receipt and you have a guarantee up to €500 if your parcel is lost or damaged. To send your parcel with a guarantee, click on the ‘Guarantee (up to €500)’ option on the online mailing tool. Or ask about it in the Post Office or Post Point. You will have to pay extra for this option.
Once you have created and paid for the shipping label, you cannot change it. You must create a new one.
You can hand in your parcel in different places:
- In a Post Office – in some offices you'll find special Parcel Boxes.
- In a Parcel Point
- In a Parcel Locker
- For a fee you can have it picked up at your home.
- In a MassPost Center (for more than 20 parcels per day)
When you create a shipping label, you can choose these options:
- Guarantee and signature: your parcel is protected against damage and loss. And the postman asks the receiver to sign for receipt.
- Confirmation of receipt: you receive a text message or e-mail when the parcel is delivered, if the parcel could not be delivered, or if the addressee has not collected the parcel in the Post Office or Post Point.
You can purchase a guarantee for your parcel. Then the contents are protected up to €500. Documents are protected up to €15.
You can prove the value of the contents of your parcel with an invoice or other document that confirms the value.
You'll find Parcel Boxes in many Post Offices. It makes handing in your parcel faster and easier. Parcel Boxes are in the Post Office or in an area that is open 24/7. Some Parcel Boxes have a scanner. Your parcel is scanned when you hand it in. If the Parcel Box doesn't have a scanner, you don't have a Shipping Receipt.
You can buy pre-stamped boxes in the eShop, in Post Offices and Post Points. They range from a pre-stamped, DVD-sized box for small parcels to fashion bags (large bags for sending clothing).
Your parcel does not receive extra protection if you send it in a bpost box. With a regular shipping label, without extra options, we only reimburse the shipping costs of your parcel if we are responsible for the loss or damage. You can purchase a guarantee. Indicate the option 'Guarantee (€500)' online.